9 to 12 months Play
At this stage, your baby will be crawling top-speed and may begin to pull himself to standing before progressing to cruising (walking while holding onto furniture) and eventually walking unassisted.
Your baby will really love interactive toys - as he is beginning to understand cause and effect, he'll really enjoy toys that make things happen. Pressing buttons, making lights flash and music play will be favourites and he'll love to play with them over and over (and over!) again. There's no such thing as too much of a good thing at this age!
Best toys for your 9-12 month old baby
Your baby can now make things happen, which is very exciting for him. Toys that respond to your baby's actions will be popular eg muscial toys
Physical co-ordination toys.
Now that your baby is on the move, introduce toys that encourage him to use his body eg push and pull toys, stacking toys and dump trucks
Language development toys.
You can encourage his growing vocabulary by introducing toys and games that will help in the development of speech and language skills. Baby books are good (stick to cloth books at this age) because after reading to him, he can take a turn at 'reading' to you by mimic your speech patterns.
Role Playing Toys
Your baby has been watching you since the moment he could focus his eyes, so it's no wonder that at this age he'll start to enjoy games that involve role-playing. Not only does role-playing encourage imaginative play, it also allows him to discover how things work in his world. Suggestions for these are telephone, vacuum cleaner, and shopping cart or basket.
Find more related articles and links for baby toys
- Why educational toys are best for baby
- Sign up for your expert FREE weekly email guide to baby's first year
- Find expert tips for helping baby to learn to play in the first year
- Find out what are unsafe toys for baby
- Browse toy stores online
- 1. Breastfeeding and sore nipples
- 2. Baby nursery checklist
- 3. Return to work without hassle
- 4. Baby Friendly Hospitals
- 5. What's your baby's crawling style?
- 6. Six reasons why crawling is important
- 7. Helping your baby to crawl
- 8. Baby awareness 9 to 12 months
- 9. Your baby's five senses
- 10. Baby development and milestones