Almond and yoghurt pound cake
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup caster sugar
- zest of one orange, finely grated
- 3/4 cup natural yoghurt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup marmalade
Preheat the oven to 180°C or 160° fan-forced. Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
Place the almond meal, flour and baking powder in a large bowl and mix to combine. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar and zest together with your fingers, working the two ingredients together until aromatic. Add the yoghurt and eggs to the sugar and whisk until well combined.
Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Fold through the sunflower oil and pour the batter into the loaf tin. Bake for 35 minutes or until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan. It should be golden on top.
Remove from oven and leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack. Heat the marmalade and 1 tablespoon of water in the microwave and brush this over the top of the cake while warm.
- I use ginger and lime marmalade to top this cake.
- Working the zest through the sugar in this recipe really enhances the flavour.
- This is a great lunch box filler. Just send it along with smear of jam.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.