- 2 cups self raising flour (for Gluten-free see notes below)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (80mL) olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup low fat natural yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 red apple, grated
- ½ cup pecans, chopped (or walnuts or almonds)
- ½ cup dates, chopped
Preheat oven to 180°C and place paper cases in muffin tray (12 large or 18 cupcake size).
Sift flour and cinnamon into large mixing bowl, add caster sugar.
In a glass jug, measure out oil (to 1/3 cup), add yoghurt (to 11/3 cup) and eggs, whisk to combine.
Pour liquid into dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Stir in apple, pecans and dates.
Spoon mixture into paper cases.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
- If you need to hide the fruit, peel the apple before grating and puree the dates with some hot water to make a paste.
- The pecans add a lovely crunch to these muffins, but omit if you are a nut-free household.
- This is a great way to use up that challenging-tasting natural yoghurt that you bought in a healthy phase, but is now languishing at the back of the fridge!
- Make gluten-free by using gluten-free plain flour (e.g. Orgran) and 3 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder. A smidgeon (about 1/8 teaspoon) of xanthan gum (from health food shops and some supermarkets) gives the ‘gluten-like’ consistency.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.
- Banana and maple syrup muffins
- Apple and cinnamon muffins
- Banana bread muffins
- Pumpkin muffins
- Blueberry muffins
- Berry spelt muffins