Roasted tomato, red pepper and cashew pesto
- 1 kg tomato (ripe)
- 1 capsicum (deseeded, cut into chunks)
- 1 head garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil (plus extra drizzle)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup parmesan
Preheat oven to 200°C. (180°C fan-forced)..
Pour a little oil on a large oven tray and spread it about. Now tumble on the tomatoes, capsicum and the whole head of garlic. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until starting to caramelise. Allow to cool.
In a food processor, blitz the cashews, parmesan and an extra drizzle of olive oil until processed, but still quite lumpy.
Squeeze the garlic from the roasted head and add that to the food processor.
Add the tomatoes and capsicum, a pinch of sea salt and some ground black pepper. Process until combined to the texture you prefer. Store in a jar in the fridge for up to a week.
Find more party food recipes
- Chicken sausage rolls
- Homemade sausage rolls
- Snazzy sausage rolls
- Mince fajitas
- Spicy mince pasties
- Mini quiche lorraines
- Mozzarella meatballs
- Tomato meatballs
- You can use fresh tomatoes for this recipe, or you can drain tinned tomatoes and use those instead, which means you can make this in season and out.
- Eat on toast, in sandwiches, spooned onto cold roast meats, under cheese on toast, over pasta and in soup!
- This recipe was created by Pip Lincolne for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.