Promotion for VTech
Children can receive a lot of presents at Christmas time – some that are useful and appreciated, and some that fail to engage kids and end up never being used.
As parents, we often fall into the trap of buying almost every new toy that hits the market in the months leading up to Christmas. But, honestly, how many of those toys end up in a cupboard or toy box and never get looked at again after Christmas Day? Or worse, the quality is so poor that they don’t even last until Boxing Day in one piece!
Giving a toy that is designed with education in mind, like the amazing range from VTech, will not only be valuable to the child receiving it but it also means that your hard-earned money is actually going towards something useful.
Why educational toys make the best gifts for tots
Playtime is integral for a child’s development as it enriches their emotional, social and cognitive development. So when selecting a toy for your little one, choosing one with educational benefits is not only giving them plenty of fun, it is also giving them the gift of learning.
When choosing toys for babies and toddlers, keep in mind the potential educational benefits including:
- Senses: Colours and movement help to develop sight, music and sounds develop the auditory senses, and tactile surfaces and fabrics stimulate touch.
- Fine and gross motor skills: Manipulation of buttons, levers, rattles, etc, helps to develop motor skills like grasping, sitting, standing and picking up objects and ultimately enhance co-ordination.
- Problem solving: Children learn cause and effect from toys like shape sorters and puzzles.
- Vocabulary and numeracy: Repetition is key to learning new words and can be introduced through rhymes and basic songs. Counting and the recognition of numbers is aided by toys that introduce the concepts in a fun way.
- Co-operation: Toys which encourage sharing and taking turns can help children learn to play with others and learn empathy and compromise.
- Creativity and imagination: Pretend play and role-playing are fantastic ways for children to learn about the world around them, spark their imagination, and develop their own playtime ideas.
Look for educational toys that can be played with in a variety of ways to help extend the lifespan of the toy and hold your child’s interest longer. Toys that grow with your child, offering activities that build upon their learning stages are the ones that will be used over and over again.
Play to learn, learn to grow
VTech believes that children learn more when they’re having fun! Recognising how children like to play, VTech combines fun with clever, age-appropriate toys that support children at every age and stage, from babies to primary schoolers. For example, VTech Baby products are specifically developed to stimulate the visual and auditory senses, whilst developing early language, sensory and gross motor skills.
As kids grow into the toddler stage, VTech products are designed to encourage mobility, coordination and stimulate their new found curiosity in the world. Then, as they grow into pre-schoolers, the focus shifts to developing language, literacy, creativity, problem-solving and more.
In addition to developing these inherent, subconscious skills, VTech toys also encourage learning in curriculum-based subjects. From vocabulary, colours, shapes, numeracy, reading and more, there is a VTech toy to support your child’s learning and inspire them to reach their full potential.
Right for their age
It’s important to keep the notion of age-appropriateness in mind to avoid frustrations from children – frustration that it’s too hard, and frustration that it’s too easy. The key is to engage them and then challenge them so playing remains fun. If we’re constantly choosing toys that aren’t age-appropriate then kids are less likely to actually play with the toy.
Additionally, there are safety reasons to consider. Some toys have small parts and are not safe for babies or toddlers to play with, for example. Toy companies specifically set these age recommendations so that children can play safely, so it’s not worth putting them at risk because they are more advanced than others.
VTech toys are also designed with quality in mind to give long lasting, safe play!
Written by Kidspot NZ with content provided by VTech.