Promotion for Kellogg’s®
Creating tasty treats in the kitchen doesn’t have to be a chore! Spend some quality time by engaging your little baker in some fun baking ideas that are made easy by using some of your favourite brands.
Fun family moments in the kitchen don’t have to mean a long list of ingredients and hours slaving away at the stove. The recipes we share below use versatile ingredients that kids will readily recognise from the breakfast table.
The first time you bake with your child is a pleasure to behold. Just treasure the memory of the look on their face when they realise they can make tasty bites. And forgive the mess that they made while they were getting creative in the kitchen!
Here’s how the kids can participate:
- Measure – show them how to use the measuring spoons and cups (you’ll lose a few spoonfuls onto the bench and floor but they will get the hang of it – eventually!)
- Mix – get them to work those muscles by doing the important work with a wooden spoon
- Beat – using the mixer is the BEST job when you’re a kid
- Spoon – getting the mixture from the bowl to the patty cases is going to be the messiest job you give your child – you have been warned!
- Quality control – as soon as the treats are cool enough, every baker has the right to taste test the goodies
Rice Bubbles® Chocolate Crackles®
A great place to start baking alongside your little baker is this fun party favourite – they are oh-so easy and yet oh-so yum!
- 4 cups Kellogg's®Rice Bubbles®
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 250 grams copha®* chopped
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa
- In a large bowl, mix the Kellogg's® Rice Bubbles®, icing sugar, cocoa & coconut.
- Slowly melt the copha® in a saucepan over a low heat. Allow to cool slightly. Add to Rice Bubbles mixture, stirring until well combined.
- Spoon mixture into paper patty cases and refrigerate until firm.
Coco Pops® Brownies Crunch
When you’ve mastered the first recipe, move on to this crunchy version of a chocolate brownie using the playful chocolatey happiness of Coco Pops®.
Coco Pops® Brownies Crunch
- 200 grams butter
- 250 grams dark chocolate chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar
- 2 cups Kellogg's®Coco Pops®
- 2 cups self-raising flour sifted
- 125 grams pecans chopped
- Pre-heatoven to 180°C.
- Place butter and chocolate in a saucepan and melt over a very low heat until the mixture becomes just smooth.
- Place eggs and sugar in a bowl and beat until pale and thick.
- Mix in the flour and nuts with a wooden spoon then fold in the chocolate mixture. To finish, pour over the Coco Pops and gently press into the top of the brownie mix.
- Divide the mixture in half and pour each half into a 20cm square cake tin lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Cut into 24 squares and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Written by Julie Scanlon
Julie is Editor for Kidspot NZ and our MVP. Her hobbies include laughing uncontrollably at her own jokes, annoying her family by asking questions about movie plots, and never taking anything too seriously. She speaks a little Spanish and a lot of Yorkshire.
Favourite motto to live by: “It ain’t nothing but a thing”