Created in partnership with Tourism New Zealand
There’s no better time to explore our own backyard, so pack all your gear and the kids into a campervan and go somewhere new!
You may have always wanted to try a campervan trip and now, without all our usual international visitors, it’s a great time to do it. We take a look at why a campervan holiday makes a great getaway for families.
Home away from home
Once you have unpacked into the campervan, that’s it! You can follow your nose, or a route you’ve preplanned, but the beauty of a campervan holiday is that you only unpack once. There’s no need to pack bags and schlep them into a vehicle and then into new accomodation each and every day.
Depending on the type of campervan you choose, you can have enjoy all the comforts of home – even the kitchen sink!
Britz Campervans have been designed especially for New Zealand and include features to make a classic Kiwi campervan trip easy and comfortable. All their campervans come with everyday essentials, apartment-style kitchen equipment and hotel quality linen and bedding plus they’ve thought of all the small but important things, such as a clothes line and pegs, microwave storage containers and dishwashing liquid.
Britz even welcome dogs onboard – after all they’re part of your family too.
Compare Brtiz campervans and find the vehicle that best suits your travel requirements here.
You choose your holiday
Some families like to keep on the move, exploring new places every day while others prefer to stop and settle for a few days while doing day trips. With a campervan you can choose the holiday that is as individual as your family.
You might prefer the facilities of a holiday park or you’re happy to stop at a camping spot with minimal facilities – with a self-contained campervan you can mix it up to match your preference and budget.
Britz have curated a range of suggested campervan itineraries across New Zealand from a long weekend break right through to a 12 day memory-filled expedition. See the itineraries here.
Top tips for family campervan trips
- Encourage your family to help budget, plan and pack so everyone is involved
- Plan your route, but leave room for spontaneity
- Pack light, layered clothing with good thermal properties and a waterproof jacket for changeable weather
- Let the kids choose a few favourite games, books, and toys to bring
- Playing cards and compact travelling games like mini backgammon can be bought at dollar stores
- Stock up on non-sugary snack foods like fruit, salted popcorn, chips ‘n’ dips and cheese and crackers and have water bottles close at hand
- Spend or splurge? Eat in or use community barbecues to save some money
- Consider hiring a campervan with a bike rack – this gives you the freedom to explore on two wheels without taking the campervan everywhere
- If you’re on a lean budget check out city and regional council websites for free events and activities like day walks and cycle paths
Save these school holidays
With the April school holidays on the horizon, there’s no better time to pack up the kids, the bikes and the dog, and hit the road on your own campervan family holiday.
Having been around for over 30 years, Britz Campervans know what it takes to support Kiwi families with having an unforgettable holiday.
Until the end of April 2021, you can save a massive 15% on Britz Campervan hires, using their promo code 150FF.
There is limited availability so be sure to get in quick so that you don’t miss your opportunity to do something new with your family these school holidays.
View this post on Instagram
Main photo credit: Mark Clinton
- Why Not Roadschool These School Holidays?
- New Zealand Road Trip Scavenger Hunt
- New Zealand Bucket List: Have You Been Everywhere?
Written by Kidspot New Zealand for Tourism New Zealand.