- 30g butter, melted
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 rindless bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tin crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- handful of basil leaves, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 tsp thickened cream
- 6 organic or free-range fresh eggs
- a few chives, finely chopped
Lightly brush a 6-cup (large capacity) muffin tin with melted butter.
Take a sheet of filo pastry and brush with melted butter. Fold the pastry into thirds so you have a rectangle, then fold again so it becomes a square. Place the square of filo into one of the muffin holes, then repeat 5 more times to fill the tray.
In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil. Add bacon and onion and cook until bacon is crispy and the onion transparent, stirring frequently to avoid mixture catching on the bottom of the pan. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and basil and gently simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon mixture into filo molds. Pour 1 tsp of cream over the top of the tomato mixture into each pie. (You can be more generous if you desire). Carefully crack an egg into the top of each pie.
Place in the oven for 20 mins or until egg is just set.
Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and chives.
- When working with filo pastry you need to keep the sheets moist until you are ready to use them. You can lay a moist tea towel over any unused sheets to stop them drying out.
- This recipe was created by Charlie Louie for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find more breakfast recipes
- Banana and honey porridge
- Basic pancakes
- Bull’s eye egg
- Fluffy cheese omelette
- Breakfast burritos
- Baked cinnamon apple porridge
- Almond pancakes
- Bacon and egg muffins
- Lemon butter
- Apple & hazelnut bircher muesli