- 1 cup gluten-free plain flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- half a cup caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- three quarters cup (180mL) milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add sugar, mix and make a well in the centre. Slowly add egg and enough milk to make a thick batter. Beat well until smooth.
Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat, melt å_ teaspoon butter and drop heaped tablespoonfuls of mixture into the pan. I cooked about 5 at a time. When bubbles appear on the surface, turn the pikelets and allow to brown on the second side. Transfer pikelets onto a plate and cover with a cloth while you finish cooking the remainder.
Serve plain, with butter, jam, honey or maple syrup. Yum.
- Of course, if you dont need to be gluten-free, substitute the gluten-free flour with plain flour. Or use self-raising flour and omit the baking powder.
- Great for lunch boxes, after school snacks and something-different-for-breakfast days.