- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 500g chicken breast fillets cut into 2cm square pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250g chorizo sausage, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 425g can diced tomatoes
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cups (500mL) chicken stock (gluten free)
- 250g cooked prawns, peeled
- half a cup coriander leaves
- Lemon wedges, to serve
Heat one teaspoon of oil in a large, deep frypan over medium heat. Cook the chicken pieces in two batches for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden and cooked through. Remove from frypan and drain on paper towel.
Add the onion and chorizo to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 minutes until the chorizo begins to crisp. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute. Add the rice and turmeric, stir to coat for 2 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, capsicum and chilli, if using.
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Make sure you stir every 5 minutes or so to prevent the rice sticking. When most of the liquid has been absorbed, add chicken and prawns, stir and cook until heated through.
Serve immediately garnished with coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
- What a taste sensation! This is a wonderful one-pan meal. You can have all the ingredients prepared in advance (all chopping done, prawns peeled etc) and then dinner takes only 15 minutes.
- The chorizo and chilli make the dish medium spicy (but oh so tasty), so omit these if your family dont tolerate spicy food. Or, feed the kids plain boring food earlier in the night and make this especially for the grown-ups (as we did).
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.