Pumpkin and corn baked risotto
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 tbsn olive oil
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- ¼ cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 600g pumpkin, peeled and cut into 5cm chunks
- 50g butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cob corn, kernels sliced off
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 180°C.
In a large oven dish, heat the oil on the stove. Add the onion and garlic. Stir through until translucent. Add the rice and stir through for 3 mins until each grain is thoroughly coated in oil.
Add the white wine and continue stirring until all the wine is absorbed.
Add all the stock and bring up to a simmer. Cover with a lid and place the dish in the oven.
Cook for 40 mins or until the rice is soft and the stock is absorbed.
Meanwhile, boil the pumpkin until soft. Drain the pumpkin and add the butter. Use a fork to break up the pumpkin to create a stiff mash.
Once the rice is cooked, remove from the oven and add the pumpkin, corn and parmesan cheese. Stir through and serve immediately.
- As much as I love making risotto the traditional way (stir, stir, stir!), there are times when you just can’t be tied to the stove to do the work – so this recipe is a great alternative.
- I find baked risotto tends to be more soupy than the stove-top variety so I try to stay away from using vegetables that will create too much of their own liquid.
- This recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.