Pumpkin and mozzarella risotto
- half a pumpkin or butternut squash
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil for pumpkin, plus 2 tbsp extra
- sea salt
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- half a cup finely grated parmesan
- 150g fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped or grated
- 1 tsp ground pepper
Preheat oven to 200C. Slice the pumpkin skin off carefully, and chop the pumpkin up into bite-sized cubes.
Place cubes into a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Place onto a baking sheet and into the oven and roast for 15 minutes until tender. Remove and set aside.
Pour stock into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, keep it on a low heat.
In a large heavy-based saucepan, fry garlic and onion in the extra oil for one minute.
Add rice and cook for 3 minutes until translucent. Add a cup of stock at a time allowing the rice to absorb each cup entirely before adding more. Ensure that you stir continuously as each cup of stock is absorbed.
Once the rice is almost perfectly tender, remove from heat and stir in butter, parmesan, pumpkin pieces, mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper to taste and cover.
Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- This is a wonderful risotto for kids as its a creamy and slightly sweet flavour that comes from the roasted pumpkin and mozzarella.
- If you have leftover stock, you can pour into ice-cube trays to freeze for later use.
- This recipe was created by Kristine Duran-Thiessen for Kidspot, New Zealands best recipe finder.