Zucchini and tomato pie
- 25g unsalted butter
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced on an angle
- 1 small brown/red onion, thinly sliced
- 7-8 basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 200C and grease an 20cm ovenproof dish.
Arrange a layer of zucchini covering the bottom of the dish.
Cover the zucchini with tomato slices, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, add a few pinches of butter then scatter over some sliced onion.
Repeat this process until you have finished.
To create the topping, put basil leaves, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper and remaining butter into a food processor and process until well combined. Pour over the top of the pie.
Bake for 40 minutes, serve warm.
- You can cook this the day before you need it. Just pop it back in the oven covered in foil to heat through while your meat is resting.
- I keep ready-made breadcrumbs in the freezer, but if you need to make them from scratch, process 3 slices of bread to make 1 cup of breadcrumbs.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealands best recipe finder.