- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- half a teaspoon allspice
- 3 eggs
- half a cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essance
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
Preheat the oven to 170C and line and grease a loaf tin (15cmx25cm).
In a medium size bowl sift the first 7 ingredients.
In a large bowl add eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla. Whisk until well combined and thick (approx 1 minute).
Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and beat to combine. Add zucchini and fold until well combined.
Pour into loaf tin about three quarters full and bake for one hour or until skewer comes out clean.
- My loaf tin is slightly too small for the mixture so I put the remaining leftovers into muffin tins and the kids eat those hot out of the oven with butter.
- I have been cutting the oil and sugar back on this recipe for a while and I think this is a great balance. The wholemeal flour gives it a really yummy texture.
- Once all the other flours and spices are sifted, add the wholemeal flour last of all due to the husks being larger than the sifter.
- I hand-mix this recipe rather than use a mixer as the loaf is lighter with a softer touch.
- I have used this mixture for muffin and it works well – they only need 20 minutes on the same temperature.
- Zucchini bread freezes well and tastes great slightly toasted and spread with butter or margerine for an after school snack.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot