Chicken and mango salad
- 3 free range chicken breast fillets
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 400g canned mango, sliced (1 used half an 800g tin)
- 150g sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup roasted cashews
- 300g good-quality satay sauce (I used asia@ home Thai Satay stir fry sauce)
- coriander leaves, to garnish (optional)
Place stock in a small saucepan, bring to boil, carefully slide chicken fillets into stock, cover and turn heat off. Leave to poach for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside to cool slightly before slicing.
Trim sugar snap peas and steam or microwave (about 1 minute) until bright green, refresh under cold water.
Choose a large serving platter and arrange the mango slices, sugar snap peas, bean sprouts, avocado, cashews and chicken. Heat the satay sauce in the microwave or a small saucepan until warm, transfer to a small bowl and place in the centre of the platter. Let everyone help themselves and drizzle it all with the satay sauce.
I had this salad at my very first work Christmas function (a picnic). Many years ago, Rosa Matto catered (she also conducted a great course called ‘so you want to be a caterer’, and fortunately I decided ‘no’!). I love the taste sensations of this salad.
- Vary the ingredients to suit what your family will eat, just make sure you keep a range of colours. All green or orange is not very appetising!
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.