- 700g chicken thighs, sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- half a teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon paprika, ground
- half a teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely diced
- 1can (400g) borlotti beans
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large brown onion, sliced
- 1 large green capsicum, sliced
- 8-10 small tortillas
- 1 cup tomato salsa
- half a cup natural yoghurt
- 1 cup guacamole (optional)
Place the chicken strips into a medium bowl. Mix the oil, spices and garlic together then rub over strips. Put to one side and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Empty the can of beans and liquid into a small saucepan, that has a lid. Mash with a fork to combine liquid and beans then bring to the boil. Once boiled remove from heat, sprinkle cheese on top, cover and leave in the saucepan to melt until serving.
Heat a chargrill pan or large heavy based frying pan until very hot. Add capsicum and onion to chicken strips then season with salt and pepper (note: you will have to cook in two batches).
Cook until chicken is browned and cooked through.
When done, remove to serving dish with a lid. Repeat process with remaining meat, onion and capsicums.
To serve, place chicken, beans, salsa, yoghurt and guacamole in the middle of the table. Keep the warmed tortillas in a clean tea towel covered then fill with ingredients and enjoy!
- It looks like a lot of work/ ingredients but it is really easy to cheat!
- Once you have the meat marinated, all you need to do is wrap the tortillas in foil and pop them in the oven to heat through.
- Buy your guacamole and salsa if you dont have the time or inclination to make them, then sit down as a family and make your own flavourful tortilla.
- I use chicken thighs because they cook quickly and they can withstand the high temps and extra cooking. Breasts are fine to use but will dry out faster if slightly over cooked.
- I also put sour cream on the table for the kids, as it gives the fajitas a creamy texture that my three year-old enjoys.