- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup castor sugar
- half a teaspoon nutmeg
- 200g butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 250g butter, melted
Preheat oven to 190C.
In a large bowl add the first 6 ingredients.
Make a well in the middle and drop in eggs, half the milk and butter then fold through. Add remaining milk and butter and fold until well combined.
Grease a 12 tin muffin tray and drop in a heaped tablespoon measurement into each.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Remove the muffins from the tray and while they are still warm, dip each in melted butter then roll in the combined cinnamon and sugar. Cool slightly on a wire rack then serve warm.
- Bonnie is a friends mother-in-law who first made the original version for me. They tasted like donuts. I have changed the recipe slightly and they taste divine, I am guessing it has something to do with all the butter!
- When my 7 year old had a friend to sleepover, I made these for breakfast and they were gone in seconds they are also great for large gatherings.
- If you have small muffin trays you can make up to 28 with this batch (I am thinking school fairs!)
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand best recipe finder.