Family meat pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 600g beef mince (we like heart-smart)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g can diced tomatoes or ½ jar passata
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 sheet frozen puff-pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion, carrot and celery for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the mince and cook for a further 5 minutes or until mince is browned.
Stir through the tomato paste, tomatoes or passata, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes, most of the liquid should have evaporated.
Pour the meat mixture into a 24cm pie dish and carefully cover with pastry sheet. Press down the pastry edges, trim excess, brush with egg and cut a slit in the centre of the pastry. Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden brown.
- I try to be organised and make the meat sauce the night before I want to serve the pie. You can have it simmering away while you cook today’s meal, then tomorrow all you have to do is throw on the pastry!
- A pastry sheet should just cover a 24cm dish. You may need to cut bits off and cover up some gaps if using a different size.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.