Hearty beef and quinoa stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 450g lean chuck steak, fat removed
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 large carrots, washed and diced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- ½ cup quinoa (rinsed well and drained)
Heat oven to 160°C or 140°C fan-forced. On the stovetop, heat an oven-proof, flame-proof casserole dish (one with a lid) to medium-high and add half the oil. Brown meat.
Once the beef is browned, remove it from the pan and set aside. Add remaining oil in a dish and add onions, carrots, celery and garlic cloves with a pinch of salt. Cook for 10 minutes until softened.
Return meat to the pan along with all other ingredients except quinoa. Bring to the boil, cover and place in the oven for 1½ hours, stirring every now and then.
Add quinoa, cover and cook a further 15 minutes. Serve.
- I use a small amount of olive oil to cook the vegetables and meat instead of the traditional butter. Quinoa makes a fantastic addition to a stew; it gives it body and texture and great flavour.
- This recipe serves 4 and has 1360.8kj (324cal); 10.6g total fat (2.8g saturated fat) per serving.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.