Meatballs with couscous
- 600g beef mince
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- half a cup breadcrumbs or cornflake crumbs
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups couscous
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- half a cup flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
Combine mince, tomato paste, water and crumbs in a large bowl. Mix well and form 2 tablespoonfuls of mixture into small meatballs. I made about 20 meatballs.
Heat a non-stick frypan to medium heat. Add oil and cook meatballs until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Bring stock to the boil in a small saucepan, stir in couscous and spices and turn off heat. Leave to absorb stock for 5 minutes, then use a fork to separate the couscous grains, stir in oil and parsley.
Serve meatballs with couscous.
- The sweet-spicy couscous is a nice contrast to the meatballs. I make these meatballs quite plain so that my kids will eat them. Leftover meatballs can be reheated the next night and presented as mini cheeseburgers.
- Try serving the meatballs with toothpicks on the side the kids will have a ball (pardon the pun) stabbing the meatballs, dropping them on the floor etc.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.