Silky play dough recipe
- 1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 180ml (3 tbsp) oil
- 500ml (2 cups) boiling water
- food colouring
Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Add the oil, mixing to form rough breadcrumbs.
Next add the boiling water and once combined knead the ingredients on a clean surface until they form the silky dough.
Set aside the dough and cover your clean workbench with cling wrap.
Divide silky dough into even portions for colouring.
Add 1/2 tsp food colouring colour at a time –increasing the quantity if needed to make a vibrant, richer colour.
Wearing gloves knead the colouring into the dough.
Use straightaway or put in the fridge for later.
Find more play dough recipes
- Be careful as the boiling water increases the temperature of the dough and can be too hot to hold at times, you may want to use a utensil to do the initial mix.
- If the dough is too sticky when kneading, add a little flour. If it is too dry, add a little water. These amounts must be minimal additions as it’s best not to upset the balance between ingredient quantities.
- It is not absolutely necessary to wear gloves, most food colouring washes off with hot soapy water.
- Store in cling wrap, resealable bags or an airtight container.