Slow cooker bacon baked beans
- 1 cup dried white or cannellini beans
- 500g speck
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tin (400g) diced tomatoes
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken or bacon stock
Rinse beans and pick out any broken ones. Place in a bowl, cover with cold water and leave overnight.
Heat a large frypan over medium-high heat. Remove rind from speck and cut into 2cm cubes. Cook for 5 minutes to brown on all sides.
Place browned speck in a slow cooker with drained beans, onion, garlic and tomatoes. Add stock to cover. Cook for 4-6 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low, adding more stock if it is drying out.
Serve topped with chopped parsley, grilled bread and a fried egg on the side.
Find related breakfast recipes
- Banana and honey porridge
- Basic pancakes
- Big breakfast
- Bull's eye egg
- Fluffy cheese omelette
- Breakfast burritos
- Golden brunch puffs
- Baked cinnamon apple porridge
- Homemade crumpets
- Almond croissants
- Bacon and egg muffins
- Lemon butter
- Speck is available in supermarkets and delis and is usually sold as a whole piece. Replace with thick-sliced bacon if unavailable.
- You could spice this recipe up a little by adding some chopped fresh or dried chilli.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.