White bean peperonata
- 2 tbsp (40ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 tin (400g) diced tomatoes
- 1 tin (400g) cannellini beans
- 1 tbsp (20ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (40ml) extra virgin olive oil
- handful basil leaves, to serve
Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.
Add onion and cook, stirring regularly for a few minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
Add the garlic and capsicum and a good seasoning of salt and pepper and cook, stirring regularly for 15 minutes or until the capsicum has softened entirely.
Tip in the tin of tomatoes, then fill the tin again halfway with water and add that, too.
Stir to bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
Pour in the beans and vinegar and stir to combine. Cook for 2 more minutes before setting aside.
To serve, transfer to a platter and drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil and scatter with the basil leaves.
- Make sure you rinse the cannellini beans when removing them from the tin.
- You can add a pinch of salt to the onions when frying to make sure they donÛªt burn.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s beståÊrecipe finder:
- You can follow Sophie onåÊLocal is Lovely,åÊFacebook,åÊTwitteråÊoråÊPinterest.