Super Sweetcorn Fritters
A family favourite, sweetcorn fritters are an easy breakfast or snack that you can whip together on those days where life is a little hectic.
- 2 cups corn kernels fresh, canned or frozen
- 3 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper finely chopped
- 4 eggs separated
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 25 grams butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Mix together corn, spring onion and red capsicum in a bowl.
Stir in the egg yolks then flour and baking soda. Season generously with salt and pepper.
In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form when the beater is lifted from the whites.
Gently mix the whites into the corn mixture, taking care not to overmix.
Melt a knob of butter and a drizzle of oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat, cook large spoonfuls of mixture in batches until golden on both sides and cooked through. Add more oil and butter to the pan as needed.
- Transferring the fritters to a preheated oven (180°C) helps to make sure the fritters are cooked through and also keep them warm while the others are still cooking.
- To substitute regular flour for the self-raising add 1 rounded teaspoon of baking powder to ¾ cup regular flour.