Date and cinnamon muffins
- 100 g medjool dates (chopped, pitted)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 cup white spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125 g unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 egg (beaten)
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced) and grease your 12-hole muffin tin.
Mix dates, sugar, bicarb of soda and cinnamon in a bowl. Pour the boiling water over the top and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
Add the flours, baking powder, melted butter and beaten egg and carefully stir.
Fill muffin holes to 3/4 full and cook for 20-30 minutes depending on your oven
Find more muffin recipes:
- Choc chip muffins
- Cinnamon muffins
- Quick muffins
- Potato and bacon muffins
- Invisible apple muffins
- Raspberry muffins
- Oat, date and honey muffins
- If you don't have coconut sugar you can use rapadura sugar instead.
- Keep an eye on these muffins – they cook differently depending on your oven.
- Best served lathered with butter, and enjoyed alongside a warm cup of spiced chai tea.
- This recipe was created by Brenda Janschek for Kidspot.