Date and walnut loaf
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup walnuts (or pecans) chopped
- 125g unsalted butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line a loaf tin (mine is 10cm x 21cm) with baking paper. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, stir in sugar and walnuts.
Place butter, milk and dates in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until butter melts. Pour butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine, then mix in eggs. Spoon mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour or until cooked when a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in tin for 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack.
Really yummy sliced and served warm with butter, but also keeps for morning tea the next day!
- Make this cake gluten-free using gluten-free plain flour (e.g. Orgran or White Wings) and baking powder.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.