Lamb Steaks with eggplant salad
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp continental parsley
- 1 lemon, rind, finely grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 600g lamb rump steaks
- 2 (500g) eggplants
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
In a mortar and pestle, crush together garlic and salt. Add herbs and lemon rind and continue to pound to form a rough paste. Add oil and combine well. Coat lamb rumps in the mixture, cover and leave to marinate for 1-2 hours.
Meanwhile, to make the salad, heat oven to 200°C conventional (180°C fan-forced). Lay whole eggplant on a baking tray and cook for 30 minutes until a skewer can be easily inserted into the flesh. Allow to cool.
In a bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice and garlic. Halve the eggplants and scoop out the flesh, then dice it roughly and add to the dressing with the parsley. Stir well.
Heat a frying pan or grill pan over high heat. Cook lamb steaks for 3 minutes. Turn over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes (for medium-rare). Transfer to a plate and allow to rest for a few minutes. Serve with eggplant salad.
Find more dinner recipes
- Beef and glass noodle stirfry
- French omelette
- Easy lamb koftas
- Fettucine alfredo
- Spaghetti with tuna and tomatoes
- Chicken and sweet corn soup
- Chicken wraps
- Fish curry
- Steak sandwich
- Gnocchi with tomato and basil
- Fast ziti recipe
- Penne with ricotta, spinach and cherry tomatoes
- Winter veggie pasties
- If you can't find lamb rumps, use lamb chops or cutlets.
- For an even easier alternative, serve with a good-quality store-bought babaganoush.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.