Buying for baby
Shopping and preparing for your baby can be one of the most enjoyable aspects of being pregnant. There are the tiny clothes, the adorable stuffed toys and the too-cute baby furniture to have fun with. Even better are the gorgeous baby gifts you receive either at your baby shower or after the birth of your baby.
If you’re asked about what types of gifts you would like to receive or need, consider the following:
- If you’re a first-time mum, you may like to receive practical nursery gifts, such as baby wipes, baby bath, cotton wool, nappies etc
- If you already own all the necessities, perhaps ask for toys – while you won’t get to use them immediately, you will get to enjoy them over the coming months
- If your new baby has older siblings, you may like to update some of your tired hand-me-downs – while babygro suits, bibs, wraps and bedding will last a long time, they are often stained and marked. There’s a lot of fun to be had dressing up hand-me-downs with a couple of new items.
- If you have a lot of mum friends, get them to share their knowledge. Asking them for the one (small) thing they consider essential to surviving babyhood is a great way of tapping into the mum brains-trust. This is how many first-time mums discover the joys of paw paw ointment.
- If you know the sex of your baby, you may want to let friends know so that they don’t make any pink mistakes – alternatively, if you don’t know the sex (or don’t want to share that information) request gender-neutral colours. You can never go wrong with white.
Just like weddings and engagements, you may like to consider starting a gift registry at a baby store or department store.
- To some, the idea of a registry might seem too formal but it is practical and ensures that you get just what you need, rather than ten sets of something you don’t.
- If you are considering a gift registry for your baby shower, visit the store yourself to ensure it has the types of items you need/want, and that there are gifts in a range of prices – you dont want your friends and family feeling too pressured to spend a fortune.
A baby shower gift idea
One of our ‘must have’ baby products is the Nurofen for Children FeverSmart Temperature Monitor .
This innovative, new, wearable baby monitor is designed to allow parents to continuously and accurately monitor their child’s fever without disturbing their sleep.
Click here to find out more
This article was written by Claire Halliday for Kidspot NZ.