Shopping and preparing for your baby can be one of the most enjoyable aspects of being pregnant. There are the tiny clothes, the adorable stuffed toys, and the too-cute baby furniture to have fun with. Even better are the gorgeous baby gifts you receive either at your baby shower or after the birth of your baby.
If you’re asked about what types of gifts you would like to receive or need, consider the following:
- If you’re a first-time mum, you may like to receive practical nursery gifts, such as a baby bath, nappy storage, baby monitor, etc
- If you already own all the necessities, perhaps ask for supplies like nappies or baby wipes, or opt for something simply cute (like rattle socks!)
- If your new baby has older siblings, you may like to update baby’s wardrobe with a few new items to replace tired hand-me-downs – while babygro suits, bibs, wraps, and bedding will last a long time, they are often stained and marked.
- If you have a lot of mum friends, get them to share their knowledge. Asking them for the one (small) thing they consider essential to surviving babyhood is a great way of tapping into the mum brains-trust. This is how many first-time mums discover the joys of paw paw ointment.
Just like weddings and engagements, you may like to consider starting a gift registry at a baby store or department store.
- To some, the idea of a registry might seem too formal but it is practical and ensures that you get just what you need, rather than ten sets of something you don’t, and it can help gift givers who are often stuck for ideas.
- If you are considering a gift registry for your baby shower, visit the store yourself to ensure it has the types of items you need/want, and that there are gifts in a range of prices – you don’t want your friends and family feeling too pressured to spend a fortune.
Baby shower gift ideas
Explore the Kidspot Directory and shop local for gorgeous gift ideas for babies and new parents:
This article was written by Claire Halliday and updated for Kidspot NZ.