Coffee cake with caramel icing recipe
- 3/4 cup soft butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp espresso coffee
- half a cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk, hot
- 3 cups pure icing sugar
Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and flour a bundt pan and set aside.
Cream butter and sugar until pale. Add eggs, one at a time, beating between each one.
Add vanilla and beat in thoroughly.
Sift all the dry ingredients flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt all together and then add to the sugar mixture, alternating with the sour cream.
Add the coffee to the mixture and beat in until thoroughly combined.
Spoon the batter into the bundt pan so that it is evenly placed around the ring.
Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out of the cake clean.
Remove from the pan and allow to cool completely before icing.
To make the icing, melt the butter in a pan on medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir vigorously for four minutes or until the two are combined and the sugar is completely liquid.
Take off the heat and allow to cool for five minutes.
Add the hot milk and stir through until combined.
Add the sieved icing sugar and combine.
- To get the right coffee-ness in the cake, I bought a takeaway short black from the local cafe. It gave me one tablespoon of strong coffee which was exactly how much I needed!
- When I was a little girl, coffee cake was THE sophisticated cake to eat I was much too young to eat it myself but I do remember the smell of it very fondly. Sadly, it seems to have gone completely out of fashion because I had to do a lot of hunting for a coffee cake recipe.
- The recipe for the icing will give you more than you will probably need but whenever I have tried to reduce the recipe, it never turns out as well.
- You may need to add a little more icing sugar if your icing doesnt become stiff you dont want it to run off the cake.
- This recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Related coffee recipes:
This recipe was written by Ella Walsh for Kidspot New Zealand.