Maple poached pears
- 1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract or 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 2 pears (any kind), peeled, quartered, cored and cut into bite-size pieces
In a medium saucepan, mix the water, maple syrup and vanilla extract together over a medium heat. Stir consistently and bring to the boil. Then turn the heat down to low and simmer.
Add the pear pieces and gently return to the boil. Then simmer again for 15 minutes or until pears are cooked through.
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight jar or container in the fridge for up to five days.
- Savour these pears warm with yoghurt or ice cream, or cold with muesli and yoghurt. You could even try layering the ingredients in a glass like you would with a trifle.
- These would make a lovely homemade gift if presented in a funky little upcycled glass jar!
- If you love fruity desserts, this recipe for Baked campfire apples should definitely sit at the top of your 'must make' list.
- Fire up the barbecue, get the ice cream out of the freezer and prepare yourselves for some seriously delish summer lovin' with these fab Grilled peaches.
- This Frozen apricot and honey yoghurt is a tasty dessert that the whole family will love. Just keep a batch in your freezer to use whenever you like!
- For a warm and comforting dessert, you can't go past this Rice pudding with glazed pears and hazelnuts.
- Minimise your washing up and make this One cup raspberry and pear crumble cake. It's so easy, and equally as tasty.
- Whip together this Zesty lemon and cherry cheesecake a day ahead, for a lovely velvety treat that will have everyone talking.
- Make the most of seasonal fruit with these versatile Autumn plums and apples. You can dollop a serve of this fruity goodness on top of just about anything.
- These Cranberry and pistachio biscotti can be wrapped up with a pretty ribbon and given as yummy Christmas presents.
- For healthy snack alternative, it doesn't get any easier than these Homemade apple chips.
- Make your kids' day with these chocolate-dipped Bananas in pyjamas, and be sure to save one for yourself too!
- This recipe was created by Katie Rainbird for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder. You can follow Katie at Katie180.