Picnic fried chicken
- 2 kg chicken breast fillets
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 3 cups (450g) plain flour
- 3 tbsp cajun seasoning
- canola or vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tsp salt
Step 1. Slice each chicken fillet into three pieces. Whisk eggs with milk. Place half of the chicken fillets into egg mixture.
Step 2. Place flour and cajun seasoning into a container with a lid. Stir to mix seasoning through the flour. Place chicken fillets into container with flour and place lid on. Shake to dredge the fillets until they are entirely coated.
Step 3. Heat about 1-2cm of oil in a frying pan over medium heat.. Fry chicken fillets for 4-6 minutes turning only once when cooked through on the first side.
Step 4. Place cooked fillets onto paper towel in a resealable container. Season well with salt and place the lid on while hot. Serve warm with a crisp side salad.
- If you want a really crunchy coating then you can double coat this recipe by placing it back into the egg mixture and flour again after the first coating.
- Placing the lid on while the chicken is hot gives it a delicious moist inside and the outside stays crunchy.
- The last step of seasoning well with salt is important in this recipe. The chicken really needs the salt to enhance the other flavours.
- If you want to add some spice to this recipe then you can use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of chilli powder in the coating.
- This is a large batch recipe but I have found if I make a large batch then you can serve this hot or cold later. Also if you are going on a picnic then you may be sharing it with friends.
- This Southern fried chicken is a similar version of fried chicken and would also be suitable as picnic food.
- If you need your chicken to be portable then you can also try this Chicken schnitzel. I prefer my chicken with a lot of flavour so this Garlic chicken schnitzel is my favourite. If you are looking for a lighter version then try this Healthy chicken schnitzel.
- For the little ones you can make their favourite Chicken nuggets. Most kids love Homemade chicken nuggets but most parents would prefer that their kids have a healthier version like these Healthy chicken nuggets.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.