Pineapple fried rice
- 4 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 4 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 bunch snake beans, sliced
- 1/2 cup diced tomato (flesh only)
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple, chopped
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 4 shallots (green onions), finely sliced
Step 1. Break up cold rice to remove any lumps.
Step 2. Heat half of the oil in a hot frying pan and gently fry the onion, garlic, ginger and snake beans for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
Step 3. Add the remaining oil and rice. Cook on high heat for 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
Step 4. Add the tomato, pineapple, fish sauce and sugar. Continue to stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add shallots and cook for a further minute or two. Serve warm.
Related rice recipes
- Chicken fried rice
- Chicken risotto
- One pan paella
- Pumpkin risotto
- Tuna and rice casserole
- Incy mincy fried rice
- Creamed rice with spiced apples
- Chicken jambalaya
- We used peanut oil for flavour but you can use vegetable oil if you have it on hand.
- A handful of cashews gives this dish extra texture and flavour, and makes it that little bit more special.
- Snake beans are a long green bean that can be found in most Asian shops or greengrocers. If you can't find them, just substitute for regular beans.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.