Summery chickpea salad
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup coriander, finely chopped
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 7-8 large mint leaves
- 1 handful of Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Sprinkle cumin powder
- Salt to taste
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
- There is nothing more simple – or tasty – than this chickpea salad.
- I love to serve this with a piece of barbecued meat because the meat juices that run off into the salad just add to the flavours.
- Chickpeas are a great carbohydrate alternative. They are inexpensive, easy to use (no soaking required when you use them from a tin) are filling and have a great nutty flavour.
- This salad mellows over time so leftovers work very well the next day.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.