There comes a time in every parent’s life when they have to step up to the stove and show what they’re made of. Yes, folks, it’s cake stall time.
Whether the thought of producing baked goods for mass consumption fills you with joy and inspiration or makes you want to curl up in the foetal position and rock gently back and forth, we are here to help! Here are 30 fabulous – and very achievable – recipes that are guaranteed to bring them flocking.
Cake stall classics
People turn up to cake stalls expecting to see the recipes below in abundance. Who are you to disappoint them?
Little patty cases full of toffee are the cornerstone of every self-respecting cake stall. Make it right and you’ll have created ‘lock-jaw toffee’, guaranteed to keep the kids quiet for quite some time.
- See here for the toffee recipe.
2. Coconut jam slice
Those gorgeous trays full of coconut and jam will have you feeling nostalgic for your childhood – and that’s even before you’ve had a nibble!
- See here for the coconut jam slice recipe.
3. Chocolate crackles
Needs no introduction. Perfection in a patty case.
- See here for the chocolate crackles recipe.
4. Easy chocolate fudge
The only thing you’ll like more than the taste of this fudge is how ridiculously easy it is to make. Wrap it up in brightly coloured foil to make it look extra special.
- See here for the easy chocolate fudge recipe.
5. Honey joys
Cornflakes + honey + patty case = big smiles all round.
- See here for the honey joys recipe.
6. Chocolate brownies
Good old chocolate brownies. They don’t look too fancy, no bells and whistles, but there’s no chance that you’ll be having to carry any home at the end of the day.
- See here for the chocolate brownies recipe.
Nothing screams cake stall like a slice. Beautiful squares of yum just waiting to be devoured.
7. Mars Bar slice
Do I really need to convince you further? I bet you’re already mentally wolfing down that first glorious bite (as chef, you have to taste, after all!).
- See here for the Mars Bar slice recipe.
8. Coconut lemon slice
A cake stall stalwart, this has a strong zingy lemon flavour which works perfectly with the sweet coconut topping.
- See here for the coconut lemon slice recipe.
9. Hedgehog slice
A delicious crunchy offering, thanks to its combo of nuts, biscuits and chocolate.
- See here for the hedgehog slice recipe.
10. Caramel slice
No cake stall is complete without the sweet perfection that is caramel slice. This one’s all about maximum reward for minimum effort.
- See here for the caramel slice recipe.
11. Choc rainbow squares
You’ve got a chocolate cakey base, you’ve got a sprinkle of rainbow of Smarties and choc bits on top … you can not possibly go wrong.
- See here for the choc rainbow squares recipe.
12. Chocolate rough slice
If you like yourself a bit of choc rough (I hear you, sister), you’ve come to the right place.
- See here for the chocolate rough slice recipe.
13. No-bake white chocolate cheesecake
Looks as spectacular as it tastes. It could become a bit of a casualty in extremely hot weather, but it probably won’t be around long enough to be a problem.
- See here for the no bake white chocolate cheesecake recipe.
If you’re looking to minimise the sugar rush and maximise nutrition but don’t want people giving your stall a wide berth, here are some offerings that are delicious while still packing a healthy punch. The other mums will love you for them.
14. Oat date and honey muffins
Oats for goodness, date and honey for sweetness. Everyone’s happy.
- See here for the oat date and honey muffins.
15. Chia seed muesli bars
Chia seeds, coconut, oats, sunflower kernels … these nut-free delights are so tasty you’ll soon be making them on a weekly basis as a healthy snack.
- See here for the chia seed muesli bars recipe.
16. Energy bars
Your little ones will love these chewy bars and you’ll love how it’ll keep them full and stop them nagging for more sweet treats (maybe … wait, who am I kidding?).
- See here for the energy bars recipe.
17. Orange and oat bran muffins recipe
Don’t let the boring-sounding title fool you, these muffins are delightfully moist thanks to the inclusion of orange juice.
- See here for the orange and oat bran muffins recipe.
18. Spelt choc chip cookies
The prettiest biscuits at the fair? Well, no, probably not. Tasty, healthy, and unlikely to be thrown up on the tilt-a-whirl? Why yes.
- See here for the spelt choc chip cookies.
Cupcakes and tarts
Colourful cupcakes and sweet tarts not only taste superb but always look gorgeous on the stand.
19. Cookie Monster cupcakes
Chocolate flavoured cupcakes topped with blue icing, googly eyes and half a chocolate chip cookie in its mouth. The most fun cupcakes ever!
- See here for the Cookie Monster cupcakes recipe.
20. Puppy cupcakes
These adorable puppy cupcakes look very impressive but are pretty simple to make. Guaranteed to receive lots of “awwwws”.
- See here for the puppy cupcakes recipe.
21. Rainbow cupcakes
Beautiful multi-coloured cupcakes in whatever flavour you want – kids will go crazy for these!
- See here for the rainbow cupcakes recipe.
22. Banana cupcakes with honey cream
Gorgeous cupcakes with the healthy boost of bananas, and the most heavenly topping imaginable.
- See here for the banana cupcakes with honey cream recipe.
23. Salted caramel tarts
These are the classiest little tarts you ever did see.
- See here for the salted caramel tarts recipe.
24. Lemon curd tarts
This light and tangy lemon curd can be used as a delicious tart filling and will have people beating a path to your stall.
- See here for the lemon curd recipe.
25. Pear custard tart
This pear and custard tart recipe can be made easily from ingredients in your pantry. The tart looks lush but has very simple flavours that everyone will love.
- See here for the pear and custard tart recipe.
These are the ones that stop people in their tracks, that they’ll be talking about long after the fete is over. And let’s be honest, who doesn’t want to be the mum that all the others secretly envy?
26. Tiny Teddies pool party
When people see your gorgeous Tiny Teddies floating in their blue pools with their little life buoys and lolly towels, they’ll go crazy for them. And you can just smile smugly and try to look modest.
- See here for the Tiny Teddies pool party recipe.
27. Strawberry Rice Bubbles hearts
Your hearts will be winning hearts all over the show.
- See here for the strawberry Rice Bubbles hearts recipe.
28. Cake pops
So yum, so fun, so colourful … where were cake pops when I was growing up, hmm?!
- See here for the cake pops recipe.
29. Biscuit wands
What can I say? I’m a sucker for anything on a stick. You can make stars, hearts, or whatever shape you happen to have in your cookie cutter collection.
- See here for the biscuit wands recipe.
30. Choc chip beetles
These gorgeous bright red lady beetles will catch everyone’s eye and tempt everyone’s tastebuds.
- See here for the choc chip beetles recipe.