Chorizo mac ‘n’ cheese
- 2 cup macaroni
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 500 ml milk
- 100 ml cream
- 1 1/2 cup tasty cheese (grated)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 cup broccoli (cut into pieces)
- 1 cup zucchini (finely diced)
- 1 cup red capsicum (finely diced)
- 1 unit chorizo sausage (peeled, finely chopped, cooked)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup almond meal
Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan-forced). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the macaroni. This will take around 8 minutes. Tip the pot into a colander in the sink to catch all of the pasta. Using the same pot, melt the butter and stir in the flour.
Keep stirring over a low heat until it starts to smell like biscuits. Stir in the milk and cream 1/3 at a time, whisking vigorously to incorporate. This process is helped along if the milk is quite warm. Fold in 2/3 of each of the cheeses until combined.
To assemble, mix the pasta, cheese sauce, vegetables and chorizo together and pour into a deep baking tray or shallow casserole dish.
Combine the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and almond meal and scatter evenly over the top.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy. Serve as is or with a little chopped tomato salad on the side.
More pasta recipes:
- Chorizo pasta
- Bacon and bean fettuccine
- Curtis Stone’s fettuccine bolognaise
- Speedy pasta boscaiola
- Ear pasta with bacon and peas
- Sage butter ravioli
- You can use cheddar cheese or tasty cheese, whatever you have or prefer.
- Almond meal on top adds a surprising sweetness to the crust.
- Keep the kids busy by getting them to help with cheese grating, weighing ingredients and assembling the final product. Bigger kids could use a small knife to cut up the broccoli florets.
- This could be assembled ahead of time and refrigerated, in which case it will need to cook for around 30 minutes in the oven.
- This recipe was created by Adam Clements for Kidspot.