- 3 tbsp (60ml) brandy
- 4 gelatine leaves (gold strength), soaked in cold water
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup (60g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) pouring cream
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg, plus a little extra to serve
- zest of one orange
Heat the brandy until just before boiling point.
Squeeze excess water from the gelatine leaves and whisk through the hot brandy.
Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
Place these in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and whisk in the gelatine mixture. Return to the heat and cook for another 2 minutes.
Fold this through the cream and set aside to whisk the egg whites. Once they are stiff, gently combine with the cream/gelatine mixture.
Spoon into 1 large bowl or 4 small serving glasses and refrigerate for approx. 3-4 hours to set.
Dust with nutmeg before serving.
Find more delicious dessert recipes
- Cheat’s pavlova
- Caramel filling
- Mango cheesecake with passionfruit sauce
- Chocolate bar icecream cake
- Chocolate mousse
- Meringue nests
- Creamy mango ice-cream
- Fruit with lemon syrup
- No-bake white chocolate cheesecake
- Banana split tarts
- Lemon curd tarts
- You can swap the brandy for rum or even Frangelico.
- If you don’t have any gelatine leaves you can use a sachet of powdered gelatine, dissolved into the hot brandy.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.