Carrot cake with cream cheese icing
- 1 cup oil
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- ½ cup sultanas or raisins
- 2 ½ cups self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
Lemony cream cheese icing
- 175g cream cheese
- 100g (2/3 cup icing sugar)
- Grated rind and juice of one lemon
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base of a 22cm round cake tin.
Place oil, sugar and eggs in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until combined.
Sift in flour, bicarb and spices and beat well to combine. Stir in carrots, pecans and sultanas.
Pour into cake pan and bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes in pan, then turn onto a rack.
To make icing, beat ingredients, spread over cold cake.
- This makes a lovely moist, dense cake and will feed a small army!
- The icing is like a magnet for kids, and despite the sugar, does mean they get some carrot.
- I made a gluten-free version using gluten-free flour and baking powder.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.