Chocolate lava cake
- 200g dark cooking chocolate
- 125g unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ cup castor sugar
- ¼ cup plain flour
Spray 10 silicone cup cake moulds with cooking spray and place on an oven tray.
In a metal bowl, melt chocolate and butter together over hot water.
When melted, use a whisk to stir out any lumps. Remove from the heat and add eggs one at a time. When mixed add the extra egg yolks and whisk to combine.
Add sugar, whisk until combined then add the flour.
Whisk until smooth.
Add about ¼ cup of mixture to your moulds, leaving about 1 cm at the top.
Once all are filled, place in the fridge for 30 minutes or until needed.
Preheat oven to 190°C.
Place moulds on middle rack and bake for 10 minutes.
Remove, sit for about a minute then turn out onto a plate and serve with sifted icing sugar and double cream.
- These are very quick to make and are show stoppers, especially when you break them open to find the runny chocolate middle.
- The raw mixture will keep in the fridge covered for 7 days so they’re great to make ahead of time for a dinner party.
- You can also use individual small foil containers if you don’t have silicone moulds.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.