Fun sushi balls
- 1 cup (200g) sushi rice
- 2 tbsp sushi seasoning
- 95g tin tuna
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 sheet nori
Step 1. Place rice in a saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 15-20 mins until all water has been absorbed and rice is cooked. Gently stir through sushi seasoning then turn rice out onto a flat dish to cool. Combine drained tuna with mayonnaise. Remove skin from avocado and cut into a 1.5cm dice.
Step 2. With damp hands, cup approximately 1/4 cup of rice in one hand. Place some tuna and a piece of avocado in the centre.
Step 3. Top with another 1/4 cup of rice and gently bring it together into a ball shape. Press firmly to enclose.
Step 4. Using sharp scissors, cut shapes from the nori. Press onto balls to decorate.
- Wrap individual balls in glad wrap and store in the fridge before packing into insulated lunch boxes.
- Vary the filling according to your child’s tastes. You could even omit the filling altogether and just make plain rice balls.
- These Baby sushi are for children that love their sushi plain and simple.
- If you haven't made sushi before then you can follow our step by step guide with Beginner’s sushi.
- You can fill your sushi with tuna like we have in this DIY tuna sushi hand roll or go with salmon in this Salmon and cucumber sandwich sushi.
- If you are making an entree for a special meal then this Crabmeat and avocado sushi is perfect for special occasions.
- You can try making this Ice cube sushi with your kids. It's simple and tasty and they will love those tiny bites.
- If you haven't made sushi before then begin with this Sushi rice.
- This recipe was created for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder, by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.