Panko-crumbed chicken schnitzel
- 500g chicken breast fillet
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil for shallow frying
Step 1. Slice the chicken breast into 5mm thick slices.
Step 2. Set up a crumbing station by placing the flour, eggs mixed with milk and breadcrumbs into three shallow bowls.
Step 3. Take each piece of chicken and coat in flour, dip into egg-wash and then gently coat in panko crumbs.
Step 4. Heat oil in a frying pan over high heat and fry the chicken pieces for 3-4 minutes or until golden on both sides and cooked through. Place cooked pieces onto kitchen towel to drain excess oil.
- You need a light touch with panko crumbs. You don't need to press them into the chicken, just dip and coat.
- You can also deep-fry these in very hot oil.
- You can find panko breadcrumbs in the Asian food section of your local supermarket.
- You can make this schnitzel into a cheese-y Chicken parmigiana for a slight variation.
- If you are fond of an extra crunchy schnitzel then give this Crunchy chicken schnitzel a go.
- If you think you need a flavour boost then add some garlic like we have in this Garlic chicken schnitzel.
- Healthy chicken schnitzel is almost a contradiction but we have managed to reduce the fat in this one.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.