Roasted tomato and chorizo soup
- 1 kg roma tomatoes
- 1 head of garlic
- 2L chicken stock
- 2 chorizo sausages, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 20 fresh basil leaves, chopped roughly
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Halve roma tomatoes and place on a oven tray. Halve garlic head horizontally and drizzle with a little olive oil. Wrap in foil and place on the tray with tomatoes.
Roast garlic and tomatoes for 45 mins.
In a frypan heat oil and fry chorizo until crispy on the outside. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
In the same pan and oil fry the onion until soft and add the stock, cooked tomatoes and garlic paste squeezed out from skin.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Blend this soup or use a stick mixer to liquify and then strain in a sieve to remove tomato seeds and skin etc
Stir fresh basil through the hot soup and stir in chorizo sausage.
Serve with crusty wholegrain bread with lashings of real butter.
Related soup recipes
- Chicken matzo ball soup
- Chunky vegetable soup with chickpeas
- Creamy mushroom soup
- Creamy spinach soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup
- Barley and vegetable soup
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.