Asian flavoured noodle cakes
- 1 zucchini
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 red capsicum
- 3 tbsp (60ml) peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 shallots (scallions or green onions)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 300g fresh egg noodles
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1/2 long red chilli, finely sliced, to serve
Julienne zucchini, carrots and red capsicum into long thin strips. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large fry pan over gentle heat and cook vegetables, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until wilted slightly but still crisp. Peel shallots and finely slice the white parts, reserving the green parts for serving. Add sliced shallots and garlic to fry pan and stir for one minute. Remove vegetables to a large bowl.
Prepare noodles according to packet instructions then combine with vegetables. Beat eggs in a small bowl with soy sauce, sesame oil and coriander. Pour over vegetables and stir well.
Wipe out fry pan with a paper towel and reheat over a medium flame. Add half the remaining oil. Cook noodle mix in batches in 1/4 cup servings for 2-3 minutes on each side, being careful not to burn. Add more oil as required.
Serve noodle cakes topped with the sliced green shallot ends, coriander leaves, sliced red chilli and a drizzle of extra sesame oil.
Find related Asian food
- Pork and prawn dumplings recipe
- Pork and prawn spring rolls
- Spring rolls
- Vegetable spring rolls
- Chicken fried rice
- Duck and fried rice
- Fried rice
- Fried rice Goong Goong style
- Prawn fried rice
- Simple fried rice
- Spicy fried rice
- Beef and glass noodle stir fry
- Chicken and basil stir fry
- Chicken broccoli cashew stir fry
- Chicken cashew and hokkien noodle stir fry
- Hoisin chicken stir fry
- Any type of fresh noodle would do – hokkien, Singapore or even plain egg.
- Make tiny noodle cakes and serve as finger food. Alternatively, make a full frypan-sized cake and slice into portions to serve.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley from the blog Typically Red.