- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Half a cup caster sugar
- Half a cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup (80mL) oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- Butter and honey, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180å¡C. Grease and line the base of a loaf pan (mine is 11cm x 21cm).
Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in the sugars. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, oil and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients with mashed banana and fold until just combined – do not overmix.
Place in the loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack and slice thickly. Serve spread with butter and drizzled with honey.
- A great summer holiday treat. Banana bread is great for morning and afternoon teas, but my favourite is toasted slices with a coffee cake for breakfast! Our sandwich press toasted its last sandwich a good few months ago and since receiving a sparkly new one for Christmas (thanks Dad and Lyn) we are finding excuses to toast everything.
- I make this gluten free using gluten free plain flour (eg Orgran or White wings) and gluten-free baking powder.