Serves: 24 muffins
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup additional ingredients
- Banana walnut – 1 cup mashed banana +1/2 cup crumbled walnuts
- Blueberry – 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- Apple and cinnamon – 1 cup tinned pie apples + 1/2 tsp cinnamon + 1 tsp vanilla
- Orange and poppy seed – 1 orange (whizzed in the blender) + 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Raspberry and almond – 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries + 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- Choc chip – 1 cup chocolate chips
- Choc choc chip – 3 tbsp cocoa + 1 cup chocolate chips
- Pineapple and coconut – 1 cup crushed pineapple + 1/2 cup coconut flakes
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 12 cup muffin tray and set aside.
In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt and mix.
In a jug, combine the egg, milk and oil.
Add the additional ingredients into the bowl and fold in the wet ingredients using a spatula until all ingredients are just wet.
Using a 1/3 cup measure, fill each muffin cup and smooth the top.
Bake for 22-25 minutes. Leave to cool in the tray for 5 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
- This quantity will make 24 mini-muffins.
- Take care not to overwork the batter. You want all the ingredients just wet. If you mix it too much your muffins will become very heavy.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.