Caramel swirl cake
- 180g unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups (280g) caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 400g tin condensed milk
- 30g butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Grease and line a 24cm springform cake tin.
Beat butter, sugar and vanilla seeds until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Fold through milk and flour.
In a small saucepan, gently heat caramel ingredients, stirring often, until butter has melted and caramel is smooth.
Spoon three-quarters of cake batter into prepared tin. Pour over caramel. Top with remaining cake batter. Use a fork to gently swirl mixture so as to distribute caramel through cake batter without fully combining it.
Bake for 40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in tin.
Find related cake recipes
- You could replace vanilla bean with 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- Serve with fresh double or whipped cream.
- Recipe by Greer Worsley, who blogs at Typically Red.