Choc beetroot cupcakes recipe
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups raw caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250ml (1 cup) olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups cooked, mashed beetroot
Cream cheese icing
- 125g cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced.
Mix flours, cocoa powder and sugar together in a large bowl.
Lightly beat eggs, olive oil and vanilla essence together.
Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in egg mixture and mix until just combined.
Stir through beetroot and spoon mixture into 2 x 12-hole cupcake trays lined with patty cases.
Bake until firm to touch. Cool on racks.
Mix together cream cheese and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Ice cupcakes when cool.
Find related cupcake recipes
- Basic cupcakes
- Chocolate coca-cola cupcakes
- Creamy raspberry filled cupcakes
- Egg-free yoghurt cupcakes
- Fruity lemon cupcakes
- Hummingbird cupcakes
- Jam doughnut cupcakes
- Quick Chocolate cupcakes
- Red velvet cupcakes
- Vanilla cupcakes
- Cookie monster cupcakes
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Strawberry cupcakes
- To cook beetroot, scrub them clean, remove the leaves (leaving the rooty bit at the bottom). Place in a saucepan, cover with water and simmer for 40 minutes until tender. Drain and cool. The skins should slip off easily. But be prepared, it’ll be very messy. Wear rubber gloves to stop your hands turning pink!
- Don’t worry if the mixture appears quite liquid. It’s supposed to be!
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand