Choc chip beetles
- 125 g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) self raising flour
- 3/4 cup (190mL) milk
- 3 cups (480g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (60mL) hot water
- red food colouring
- 1 cup (150g) Dark Chocolate Melts, melted
- 1/2 cup (95g) White Choc Bits
- silver cachous, for decoration
Preheat oven to 180c/160C fan forced. Grease two 12-hole round-based shallow patty pans.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add egg and vanilla, beat until just combined. Add flour and milk, beat until smooth.
Divide mixture amoung prepared pans; bake 12-14 minutes until golden; turn out onto wire rack to cool.
To make icing: combine sugar, butter, water and a few drops of food colouring; stir until smooth. Spread icing over the rounded side of each cake.
Spoon Dark Chocolate Melts into a piping bag or freezer bag with the corner snipped; decorate cakes as pictured. Use White Choc Bits to create spots on the beetle and use silver cachous for the eyes. Allow to set before serving.
Related baking recipes
- Apricot muesli bars
- Sticky toffee pudding
- White chocolate star cookies
- Luscious chocolate cake
- Lemon coconut surprise
- Caramel fudge
- Gingerbread biscuits
- Chocolate caramel lamingtons
- Choc chip peanut butter cookies
- Chocolate clusters
Find more recipes at Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.