Egg salad boats
- 6 eggs
- 3 tbsp (60ml) good quality mayonnaise
- 2 tsp seeded mustard
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- juice and zest of one lemon
- sourdough bread rolls or a baguette
Arrange eggs in a single layer in a medium pot and cover with cold water.
Bring to the boil and then remove from heat.
Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
Drain, then cover eggs with cold water, swish them around and then drain, repeating twice.
Set aside to chill while you make the mayonnaise mixture.
To do this, simply combine remaining ingredients and check for seasoning.
Hollow out the rolls or baguette, removing most of the bread interior (reserve for breadcrumbs).
Peel the eggs and roughly chop.
Gently stir through the mayonnaise mixture and then spoon into the rolls.
Serve as is or slice into pieces before serving on a platter.
Find related sandwich recipes
- Apricot jam and cottage cheese sandwich
- Cream cheese, carrot and celery sandwich
- Egg sandwich
- Ham, cheese and salad sandwich
- Teriyaki chicken and avocado sandwiches
- Swirly sandwiches
- Nana’s club sandwiches
- Nutella and banana toasted sandwich
- Making perfect hard boiled eggs is a bit of an art if you don’t want those grey tinged edges.
- Check out our Hard boiled egg recipe to find the best way.
- Good quality mayonnaise is essential to a really great egg salad sandwich.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder: You can follow Sophie on Local is Lovely, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.