Little orange and rhubarb cakes
- 2 orange (small)
- 1 bunch rhubarb
- 1 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 250 g almond meal
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
Place oranges in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer can easily be inserted into the flesh. You may need to top up the water during this process. Once cooked, remove from water and process whole oranges into a puree.
Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan-forced). Trim and wash rhubarb. Cut stalks into 3cm pieces. Place into a baking pan and sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons of sugar. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the rhubarb is soft but still keeps its shape.
Beat remaining sugar and eggs until frothy. Fold through almond meal and baking powder, then fold through orange puree.
Line 1/2 cup muffin trays with cupcake liners (this recipe makes 15). Fill each case three-quarters full with mixture. Top with 2-3 pieces of roasted rhubarb. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Find more recipes using almond:
- 3 ingredient almond biscuits
- Almond and chocolate Easter bread
- Almond and yoghurt pound cake
- Choc almond biscotti
- Healthy almond honey oat yoghurt muffins
- Apple, mango and almond crumble
- Pear and almond cake
- You can make your own almond meal by blitzing 250g raw almonds in a food processor until finely ground.
- I used blood oranges in this recipe but regular oranges are fine.
- This recipe only uses about half the rhubarb. Use leftovers on muesli or alongside ice cream for dessert.
- This recipe was created by Greer Worsley for Kidspot.