Mexican chilli beef recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5kg chuck steak, cut into 2cm cubes
- sea salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 250ml (1 cup) beef stock
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 12 wheat tortillas, grated cheese, sour cream and rice to serve
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Cook beef in batches until browned. Place in slow cooker.
Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in pan and saute onion and garlic until soft. Add to slow cooker.
Stir in tomatoes, sugar, spices, salt and beef stock. Cover and cook for 8 hours on low.
Just before serving, heat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Gently press tortillas into oven-proof bowls to create fluted basket shapes and bake until crisp.
Fill with beef mixture, sprinkle with coriander and serve with grated cheese, sour cream, rice, salsa and soft tortillas.
More Mexican recipes
- To add a unique smokey chilli flavour to the dish, look out for dried chipolte chillis in your local specialist deli or order online. Add two in place of the chilli powder.
- No chuck steak to hand? Minced beef works just as well.
- This recipe was created by Alana House for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.